It's hard to believe that today is December 31 and that 2010 has come to an end. (It's also hard to believe that I'm getting to this before the year officially ends!) The older I get, the faster the years go it feels like. I know...that's life. And I knew that going into 2010. So I tried really hard to just make memories. To enjoy the little things. To do the things that I loved...whether they were silly or not. 2010 hasn't been an easy year by any means but I do know that I enjoyed myself.
God has taught me a lot of things this year. He does every year! And I tried to listen more closely this year. I'm going to continue to work on my relationship with Him because I do know that it is the most important thing. Without Him, none of these memories and things I've learned really mean much. Not to me anyway.
I'm going to try really hard not to babble for you all this year. (I know...some of you are laughing!) 2010 brought me lots of smiles...watching the girls and Mom play Just Dance when we finally celebrated Christmas in Jan! Kiah Grace being dedicated in May. My Melissa graduating in May (that was bittersweet for sure). Kale turning 3!! Keagen turning 7!! Kiah just recently turned 1! Stella turned 4. Emily turned 17 and Melissa 19. Wow. They just keep growing and growing. As I watching Emily and Melissa and the young ladies they are becoming, I know that Keagen, Kale and Kiah will grow just as quickly. And I know that years down the road I'll be wishing that Keagen, Kale and Kiah were little again too. But I also know that God has BIG plans for all of these kids. And I'm excited to see them grow.
I spent the 4th of July at the lake in Michigan with Todd, Stella, Stacy and her family. This is the first year...well, ever I think...that I wasn't here in town to watch the fireworks. And believe me, that was actually tough for me. I always look forward to the 4th of July and the fireworks. Plus, this was how Shanda and I always celebrated her birthday! But her and her family were going on vacation. And I wanted to do something different. Plus, I knew I'd be welcomed with the Lane's and Wenger's and that I'd enjoy myself. I did. The fireworks were pretty on the water! It was fun to watch the kids play. And it was relaxing to just sit back and read and relax. I loved it and I'm so glad I went!!!
This isn't a huge memory but it's still a good one to me. Karen and I spent a few hours at a worship concert this year. I can't remember what it was called...something like One God, One Voice, One Night...something like that. Anyway...it was an amazing night of worship. Just feeling God like that through an entire night of song. I hope they do it again!!!
I went to Gatlinburg in July with my friend Sarah. I've been wanting to go back for years. But haven't had the time (well, made the time). And it seemed like everyone else always had something else to do or didn't have the money. Sarah and I started talking about spending time together and it turned into a mini vacation...that we both needed!!! We had soooooooooooooo much fun!!! We spent so much money!!! And it's a trip I'll never forget!!! I'm so glad we went. And I'll never forget her asking me to be the Maid of Honor in her wedding! (Mainly cause I started to cry!) It was such an honor. She has no idea how much that meant to me. I'm excited for her wedding day (Sept 2011) and to see all of her dreams come true. Destry is a good man and he's good to her! I'm excited to see what God has in the works for them as they move on to this next chapter of their life!
I've been wanting to go to the zoo for quite awhile. I love the zoo!!! And I haven't been in years. I wanted to go and just enjoy the animals and read things and take lots of pictures. Seems silly to you maybe but not to me!! And after just a little whining, my best friend decided it was something we should do for our birthdays. (Hers is the beginning of Sept and then mine the 20th). On top of that, I wanted another piercing in my cartilage...even tho it hurts to get done! (I'm a wimp sometimes!) So we took an entire day and hung out, went to get my cartilage pierced and went to the zoo! She even endured the mall for me (she hates the mall). It was so much fun!! The day was perfect! There wasn't a ton of sun but it kept it cool enough that when we weren't moving we needed our sweatshirts, but as long as we were walking, the temp was perfect. I had an amazing day! I even got ice cream! (It's the little things that make me happy!) I don't think she realizes what the day meant for me. We both had a good time, though and I'm so glad for that!!! My 32nd birthday was definitely not a boring one!!
My best friend spent a few days in the hospital in March. I knew she'd be ok. It wasn't that. It was still hard to see her that sick and to know there was nothing I could do but sit there. And even then, I couldn't be there as much as I wanted to be. I tried to be positive...for her and me! I made her laugh. We talked a lot. We joked around about her cute nurse Casey! (He was a cutie!) We watched shows she would probably never watch while at home. And she did get some rest...as much as you can get at a hospital. But there's one memory that will probably forever stay etched in my mind. We had decided to take a walk around the floor to get her out of the room. There she was...in the hospital gown and walking around with the IV in her arm. I knew she was sick but it was at that moment I had a pretty good idea of how sick. I was glad I was there. I wanted to be. But it was still hard to see.
The last few months of 2010 hasn't been the easiest. I've watched people struggle. Friends have lost people in their lives. A friend lost her dad this year. And Judy found out she had breast cancer. And I know that's going to be one of the biggest things on my mind starting 2011. I have enough faith to know that no matter what, God has sa plan and He will take good care of Judy. But that doesn't always make you feel better. Again, though, I'm keeping the positive attitude. Despite the fact that cancer can be a scary word, and I'm sure this new chapter of Judy's life won't be easy, I know that good will come of this. I may not always understand but I do believe it.
I spent all week deciding what to do tonight...listening to the offers and thinking. And thinking about how lame it would be to stay home all by myself tonight. It is New Year's Eve. And I don't ever remember spending a New Year's Eve by myself. But that's what I wanted to do. Not because I don't love the people who asked me to hang out and not because none of it sounded like fun. That wasn't it. I kind of want to bring 2011 in differently. Reflecting on things and giving the new year some thought. I don't really make resolutions but I do think about things I want to work on. And that's the plan for tonight. I'm going to do some reading. I'm going to watch a movie or two. I'm definitely going to watch the ball drop in Time Square (from the comforts of my couch). But tonight is about me. May sound selfish but it's true. There are things I want to put behind me. There are things I want to work on. There are books I want to read and movies I want to watch! So the thought behind staying home tonight was actually kind of simple. If the new year is about starting new and making changes in your life, it starts with you. Not you and a bunch of people. Just you. Cause only you can decide to make those changes. (Well, you and God obviously!) So I'm starting 2011 with the person I want to be...me. Did that make any sense at all??
I had enough pictures again this year to make two videos but decided to condense it just one. It's easier to make just one and it doesn't take so much time away all of the other things you have to do. So here it is. Just a few of my memories from 2010. Thank you all for reading my thoughts, commenting, praying for me, and just listening. It's nice to know I have a few people out there who will listen to me babble and still keep coming back for more.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Comments
Here is to an awesome 2011!!!!