You gotta love Wal-Mart. OK. I do anyway! And I love it for a million reasons...my checkbook completely understands. But it was the conversation last night in Wal-Mart that interested me the most.
Teenage Girl: All I wanted to do was hang out with Lisa on Sat. But Beth said that so and so told so and so and so and so told her that Lisa is going out with them. (obviously she didn't say so and so but I can't remember all the names!)
Mother: Did you ask Lisa?
Teenage Girl: No, Mom. Cause Beth told me.
Mother: Just ask Lisa, honey.
Teenage Girl: But I wanted to do something on Sat.
Mother: Has it occurred to you that maybe she does too but the story just got turned around? Or maybe she'd love to hang out but something came up?
Teenage Girl: Ugh.
Mother: The world doesn't revolve around you. Yes, you are the most important person in my life but not the live's of others. You're just as important as the next person. And quit assuming she's doing something with someone else. Just ask Lisa what the story is, honey.
Teenage Girl: Yeah, ok.
The. World. Does. Not. Revolve. Around. You. Somedays, I'd love to shout that from the mountain top! And I try really hard not to be on some soapbox. You don't want to hear it. Heck, I don't want to hear it. But isn't that the truth? The world doesn't revolve around you. Or me. I won't lie. There are moments...maybe hours...sometimes even an entire day...where I wish the world revolved around me. Where I get to the point and say, "how come no one listens to me?" Or whatever it might be. But I do know the world doesn't revolve around me. And I also know that every little thing I hear from so and so and so and so is probably FALSE!!! And I try my hardest not to assume things...making things about me..when they're really not. Just gets me in trouble. And if they are about me, oh well. If you have nothing better to do than talk about me, then poor you. Cause that's a pretty boring life.
I mean, think about it. How can the world possibly revolve around you in a world full of millions and millions and millions and millions and millions...of people???? And really, do you think everything is about you? The mother was right. Wouldn't it be easier to just ask?? Then if it is about you, then you can have a discussion about it. And if it's not, then you can move on to the next thing! Right??? Right.
I'm kind of getting tired of the assumptions. I left high school 13 years ago. Unfortunately, I think we all know that high school really is just preparation for real life. Yes, we grow up. We get older. But that doesn't change the dynamic of things. There will always be people who cause drama (usually us women...no need to deny it). There will always be people who talk about you. There will always be people who assume things. The list goes on. But really...we're all adults. Quit acting like the world revolves around you. It doesn't. Does it feel like it should sometimes? Of course. And we're all entitled to moments of that. I have those moments. But I've tried really hard to remind myself that I'm not the most important person. And I've also tried to remind myself that things aren't usually about me. They rarely are. If I'm wondering about something, I should just ask. It's so much simpler that way.
So really...quit thinking it's all about you. And if you wanna know something, just ask. I'll answer. Geeze.
Teenage Girl: All I wanted to do was hang out with Lisa on Sat. But Beth said that so and so told so and so and so and so told her that Lisa is going out with them. (obviously she didn't say so and so but I can't remember all the names!)
Mother: Did you ask Lisa?
Teenage Girl: No, Mom. Cause Beth told me.
Mother: Just ask Lisa, honey.
Teenage Girl: But I wanted to do something on Sat.
Mother: Has it occurred to you that maybe she does too but the story just got turned around? Or maybe she'd love to hang out but something came up?
Teenage Girl: Ugh.
Mother: The world doesn't revolve around you. Yes, you are the most important person in my life but not the live's of others. You're just as important as the next person. And quit assuming she's doing something with someone else. Just ask Lisa what the story is, honey.
Teenage Girl: Yeah, ok.
The. World. Does. Not. Revolve. Around. You. Somedays, I'd love to shout that from the mountain top! And I try really hard not to be on some soapbox. You don't want to hear it. Heck, I don't want to hear it. But isn't that the truth? The world doesn't revolve around you. Or me. I won't lie. There are moments...maybe hours...sometimes even an entire day...where I wish the world revolved around me. Where I get to the point and say, "how come no one listens to me?" Or whatever it might be. But I do know the world doesn't revolve around me. And I also know that every little thing I hear from so and so and so and so is probably FALSE!!! And I try my hardest not to assume things...making things about me..when they're really not. Just gets me in trouble. And if they are about me, oh well. If you have nothing better to do than talk about me, then poor you. Cause that's a pretty boring life.
I mean, think about it. How can the world possibly revolve around you in a world full of millions and millions and millions and millions and millions...of people???? And really, do you think everything is about you? The mother was right. Wouldn't it be easier to just ask?? Then if it is about you, then you can have a discussion about it. And if it's not, then you can move on to the next thing! Right??? Right.
I'm kind of getting tired of the assumptions. I left high school 13 years ago. Unfortunately, I think we all know that high school really is just preparation for real life. Yes, we grow up. We get older. But that doesn't change the dynamic of things. There will always be people who cause drama (usually us women...no need to deny it). There will always be people who talk about you. There will always be people who assume things. The list goes on. But really...we're all adults. Quit acting like the world revolves around you. It doesn't. Does it feel like it should sometimes? Of course. And we're all entitled to moments of that. I have those moments. But I've tried really hard to remind myself that I'm not the most important person. And I've also tried to remind myself that things aren't usually about me. They rarely are. If I'm wondering about something, I should just ask. It's so much simpler that way.
So really...quit thinking it's all about you. And if you wanna know something, just ask. I'll answer. Geeze.
Comments