I've been sitting here trying to decide what to talk about first as far as my weekend at Women of Faith goes. It's so hard to decide! And there's so much to share!!!!!!!!!!! But I knew if I just starting sharing things in one blog, you'd probably lose interest because you'd be a little confused! It was so exciting that I know I'll get my thoughts all mixed up. So I thought I'd start today with one of my favorite things from the conference...and her name was Lisa Smith.
The conference itself is broken in two. There's a preconference which is Friday morning and afternoon and then the regular conference which is Friday night and all day Saturday. (I'll go into more of that later.)
Without going into too much detail about the preconference (at least for the moment), there were two main speakers plus the worship team. The speakers were Sheila Walsh and Dr. Henry Cloud. And the name of the preconference was God Has a Dream for Your Life. As most of you know, my favorite verse is Jeremiah 29:11 and so this preconference for me tied right to that verse. Now it led to something I wasn't even prepared for but I'll get to that later!
Anyway...Sheila Walsh also sings and before singing one of her songs, she introduced the audience to a girl by the name of Lisa Smith. Now, since I had been on the WOF website several times, I knew a little something about Lisa Smith. But until Sheila gave the whole story, it didn't really impact me much.
Lisa Smith is a young woman with down syndrome who taught herself to sign. Now I don't know how many of you have every attempted to teach yourself to sign, but IT'S SO HARD! I've attempted a few times and have not accomplished much! But again, that's another story!
Anyway...Lisa taught herself to sign BEAUTIFULLY. Then she told her mother one day that her dream was to sign for Sandi Patty. And like most mothers, she simply just said "OK." Of course she didn't want to discourage her but she knew this was a big dream. Lisa and her mother attended a Sandi Patty concert and unexpectedly were able to meet Sandi. And now, Lisa signs with Sandi at a lot of her concerts!!! Isn't that awesome??????? Here's a girl who by society's standards is not "normal" and probably shouldn't accomplish half of the things she has (because we as a society put a label on her). And here is she signing for Sandi Patty...probably the biggest Christian singer there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you even imagine?????????????????????
Everytime this young lady got up there to sign with any of the women, it brought tears to my eyes. There was just something about her. It was clear that she had given her life to God and that she completely believed that He believed in her and the dreams she had for her life. How awesome is that????????? She was up there worshipping the God that gave her this opportunity! And she was so grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This young lady was a perfect example of the dreams God has for our lives. What a testimony she LIVES everyday.
Comments