Skip to main content

Fear and Trembling (Lesson/Chapter Two)


As promised, here's the second lesson in the Bible study! No scrapbooking for me tonight! Go, Deidra! I didn't answer a lot of these questions online like I did the last one. It's a lot of reflection on scripture. But I do encourage you to share whatever you feel like you should! I'll get lesson three up much quicker...I promise!


Lesson/Chapter One: Fear and Trembling

"Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You." -Psalm 56:3 NKJV


Did you ever have a special blanket you always carried with you or a special stuff animal you wouldn't go to bed without? What was your most precious stuffed animal's name?
I was actually a teenager when I first latched onto a stuff animal. I know...seems a little old, huh? Mom said I had a blanket when I was little but it's this teddy bear that I remember. I was in High School when Mom bought the bear for me for Christmas. I named him Byron and made a home for him in the corner of my bed by my pillow. It wasn't because of afraid of something. He was just so cute! And soft! He's been EVERYHERE with me. He even went to college with me and made the trip home with me every time I came to visit. He even went with us to Gatlinburg! He's still in the corner of my bed. I just don't carry him around quite like I used to. I also have a new favorite blanket. My best friend bought me the softest, cutest baby eeyore blanket and for some reason, when I don't really feel well, I sleep with it! We all need a little comfort!

Did you know the children of Israel had nightlights? The entire nation was afraid of the dark. In ancient times, the oil lamps that lit homes were kept burning all night long. It was so important to keep that lamp burning that poor people would spend their money on oil first, even if there wasn't enough left to buy food! God knew His people needed certain reassurances. So when they were uprooted from their homes and forced to pitch their tents in barren landscapes each night, they were comforted by the presence of a pillar of fire. The glow it cast over the sleeping camp reminded the children of Israel their Constant Companion was near.

1. Where you ever afraid of the dark? Did you have bad dreams when you were little? Look up Psalm 91:5 and Proverbs 3:24 for verses of comfort at bed time.
I don't remember having lots of bad dreams. And I can't say I'm afraid of the dark. Maybe uneasy with things I can't see but I wouldn't say afraid...if that makes sense. God will always be with us though. There's no reason to fear...even the things we can't see!

2. These days, just watching the evening news can leave us a bit uneasy. Planes crash, diseases spread, buildings burn, corporations crumble, and wars rage. When all the news seems to be bad news, what comfort can we find? Look at Psalm 112:7.

3. God thinks of everything, and His promises can comfort our hearts. Gossip and rumors are vicious, and misunderstandings can injure a friendship. Some of us are afraid of what people might say about us, but what does Isaiah 51:7 promise?

4. Some of us are afraid of pain and death. Though we do not suffer from religious persecution as some of our sisters (and brothers) around the world do, we tremble at the prospect of another terrorist attack. What does Jesus tell His believers in Luke 12:4?

Take a look at some of these scriptures about the fears of people in the Bible.
*Gen. 3:5 *Ex. 4:10 *2 Sam. 11:15 *2 Kings 20:1-3

5. In the face of little qualms, emotional mayhem, and our worst fears, Jesus has one thing to say to us. Turn to Mark 5:36. What does our Lord urge us to do?

6. So, we are not supposed to be afraid. Why? Matthew 10:31 offers a very good reason. What is it?

7. We are not supposed to be afraid. Let's consider Isaiah 12:2. What declaration and promises in the verse would dispel your fears?

8. Marilyn Meberg says, "For me to fear the unseen and worry about it's potential to do harm throttles my joy." Still, the fact remains that we do have fearful moments. What do we need to remind ourselves whenever fears creep in? Psalm 56:3 holds the formula.

9. One last word of encouragement for the faint of heart. Trust God and His plans. No matter what might happen on this earth, what does God have in store for you in the end?
Eternity with Him. And that's something to look forward to in a world full of fear...full of terrible things that happen on a daily basis.

More Scripture:
*Gen. 15:1
*Isaiah 41:10
*Deut. 31:8
*John 14:27
*Psalm 27:1

Trinkets to Treasure
When night begins to fall, our fears seem to gain strength, and so your little gift this week is a nightlight. A nightlight is a promise of sweet sleep! You are precious to God, and He will take care of you. Trust Him to do just that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, New Me

New year, new me. Who says that? Ok, a lot of people so no offense if you’re one of them.  But I like me. Sure, I’m not perfect. But I don’t want to really change all of me.  So no silly quote like that for me! It is hard to believe that 2019 is here. The older I get, the quicker time flies by.  I do remember being told that when I was a teenager.  Those people were so right.  It feels like yesterday that I was sitting in my quiet house while Johanna was off with friends celebrating the start of 2018.  But that was a year ago.  Today, I’m still sitting in my quiet house but that’s because Karyna is just waking up for the day.   A few years ago, I used to work on videos that would highlight my year.  I loved doing them but they took time.  And that’s time that I don’t have as much of these days.  It’s hard to go through a year of pictures and videos.  Do you know how many pictures I take a year?  My goodness!...

Friday Follow

How come when it's time to do the Friday Follow, I have nothing interesting to say??? Hmmmm...it's been a long week.  Days where things just didn't make sense.  Lots I need to process.  It's possible that all of my thinking will lead to a great post this weekend.  But for now, I just hope all of you new visitors find something interesting to read from other posts here.  I plan to spend this rainy weekend doing some thinking, relaxing, watching movies and checking out new blogs!  Sounds like a good way to spend the weekend, right?  :-)  Thanks for stopping by!

New Cards!!!

So between resting this weekend (cause my allergies kicked my butt...especially yesterday), I worked on making some cards.  It's been SO long since I've actually spent time doing something like this and I LOVE making cards!  So I wanted to share them with you.  I made 20 cards total.  2 each of 10 designs.  So now there's two sets of friendship cards.  I think I'm going to try to sell one set.  Then I think give the other set away.  I'm just not sure how.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking if you leave a comment about the cards you'll be entered to win.  If you buy one set of cards, you'll also be entered to win.  Hows that sound?