
Before we get things started, let me explain or go over a few things. First of all, let's talk about this study. It's part of the Women of Faith Study Guide Series and this one is titled "Living Above Worry and Stress." (Now, guys, it's for you too!) The foward is by Thelma Wells. I HIGHLY encourage you to buy this study...for several reasons. One, I'm not typing this up word for word so you're going to miss some of the great stories and quotes throughout this study. Two, I believe you're really going to want to get into this...you're going to want to be able to go back and reflect on things. Three, I also believe you're going to want to share it with others. The suggested retail for the book is $7.99 and that's how much I paid for it. I know you can find them in Christian book stores. They are available on amazon.com and places like that. I imagine you can even find it on ebay. I just believe it's a good investment. And because I know that for most of us, every $8 in our bank account is important, for the first person to reply to this post (or send me an email regarding this post), I'll get you one and send it to you...FREE! (Thanks for the idea, Becky!) But before replying to this post or emailing me, DO THE LESSON! I want to hear your opinions on the lesson! So the first person I get a response from will get the book. And for those of you who would like the book but right now, $8 isn't in your budget, I do understand. I'll be praying for you though. You never know where that $8 may come from! :-)
At the end of every chapter/lesson, they have what they call Trinkets to Treasure and if we were doing this in a group where we got together, who ever was leading would provide these "trinkets" to the group. My goal is to provide them to you in pictures! So if I can find a picture of it, it will be posted! I also encourage you to print those pictures. I think they'll mean something to you!
Everything coming from me is in black writing. Scripture will be in orange. Questions will be in red. Quotes or things coming directly from the study will be in blue.
If you have ANY questions, just let me know!
Lesson/Chapter One: SCATTERED LIVES
*Psalm 102:1-3*
(in the lesson, the scripture is taken from the New Living Translation...which I love, but I'd like to share it with you from The Message because well, to be honest, when I'm really worried or really stressed, this is what my prayers sound like!)
God, listen! Listen to my prayer,
listen to the pain in my cries.
Don't turn your back on me
just when I need you so desperately.
Pay attention! This is a cry for help!
And hurry - this can't wait!
Once I read it out of the Message translation, I thought, "That is so me!" When I'm stressed or when I feel like I need an answer from God right then, that's the way I sound!
"Sometimes we don't realize how busy we really are. Because we're right in the middle of living our lives, it feels quite normal."
*Do you feel like you're extremely busy all the time?* Honestly, yes, most days feel like I'm constantly doing something. If I'm not working, I'm doing work at home or I've got to be some place.
1. What are some of your responsiblities around your home that you HAVE to do and no one else can? Well, when you say HAVE that makes things slightly different I guess. Definitely my card business. Answering those emails, sending out invoices, putting things on the net, buying products I need...I have some help for cutting things (which really does help) but most of that work I do myself. I'm the only one that can write checks and pay MY bills.
2. What are those occasional tasks that you have to make sure get done?
I don't know...scheduling the dog for appointments. Otherwise everyone is confused! Oil changes on the car.
3. What activities do you attend on a regular basis? Or what things do you have to get your children to on a regular basis? Church on Saturday nights. Women's Ministry meetings once a month and the activities for that about every month or so. Girls night out on Tues. (we go out for pizza)
4. Do you hold any responsibilities at the church? If so, how much time does it take to get prepared for that? I'm in women's ministry (which I love). I lead Secret Sisters for our church. That doesn't really get busy or time consuming til about Nov. through Dec. I lead up the group of woman who go to the Women of Faith conference. That's a year long thing.
5. Birthdays and holidays are usually big deals! What role do you play when these things come around? For the last couple of years, I've kind of taken over most of the duties for the holidays so that mom stays healthier. She still does like the big things (like the turkey) but I do a lot of the cooking now along with all of the decorating.
6. How many hours do you work a week? When you go home, do you leave the "job" at work? Well, at my day job, right now I'm putting in 72 hours every two weeks (that may change to 32 a week here shortly). Then because I'm trying to really kick start this card business, I probably come home and work another 3-4 hours a night. So on the average, about 11-12 hours a day...depending on the day. The day job should be something I could leave at work but it's not. At least not all the time. And the card business seems to go with me everywhere! I'm always thinking about what needs done or how I can improve something, get my name out there...it's always with me.
7. In the midst of all of this, what would you say are the important things in life? My relationship with God (which I'll be the first to admit sometimes takes a back seat to other things). My family. Friends.
8. Do you sometimes (or more than sometimes) feel overwhelmed by everything you're responsible for? Do you have any fears or worries related to them? Definitely! Sometimes I have slower weeks but others are so hectic that I don't get enough sleep, I feel like I'm missing out on other things cause I'm just constantly "doing." Of course all of that crosses my mind!
9. Read Psalm 102:1-3 again. How is David feeling? I'd say he's overwhelmed! Stressed out!
10. Read 1 Corinthians 14:33. When God created you, what did he have in mind? Read Ephesians 2:10. He created us to join Him in the work He is doing and has prepared for us to do.
**"I don't know about you, but I'm susceptible to viewing the lives of others from afar and believing their existence is easier, calmer, and more meaningful than mind - rather paradisiacal. Not all the time, mind you, but I do have those moments when I give way to envy because I'm trudging through a dreary season while someone else seems to be skipping down a well-lit path." Patsy Clairmont**
More Scripture:
*Proverbs 6:6-8
*Proverbs 31: 10-31
*Proverbs 12:24
*Colossians 3:23
*Proverbs 13:4
*2 Timothy 2:15
PRAY: "Ask God to help you see what is important to Him in your days. Then ask God to guide you in organizing your time."
TREASURE: A leaf. "Make it your prayer that your life will not remain a tumult of dried leaves, drifting around with every breath of wind. Ask instead that your life might be as fresh as a newly unfurled leaf, clinging to the strength and stability of the tree branch. ...turn over a new leaf!"
Comments
Anyways, I love the idea of this kind of bible study. I am in a bible study that meets once a month and sometimes its hard making sure I get to that one. But I love the idea of being able to do this one whenever I have the time! You are awesome Deidra!
As far as the study goes, I was instantly interested. Some days my life feels absolutely scattered! I have two children under the age of 4 and a wonderful husband who helps me do a lot! In fact, some days he does more than I do. I work 4 days a week and I am also doing a job as an independent consultant. I volunteer for the Angel Teddy Bear Foundation- which gives special teddy bears to parents who have had a miscarriage or neo-natal loss. It's all so rewarding to me and the Lord. Yet, what really hurts my heart, is while I am thinking about all of the things I do, I come to the realization that I have put the Lord last on my list of "things to do" for the day. Some nights, when I sit down to do my prayers and devotional- I fall asleep from exhaustion! So far, as you can tell, my eyes have been opened! It's a good start for me.
Arin B.