Skip to main content

GROWING...UP: 2009...A Year in Review

HA HA!!! I'm two days earlier than I was last year!  That was really my only goal in getting this done (altho a friend did give me a deadline).  And this year brings two videos...mainly because I decided I was doing to include all of the pics I can.  It's possible you won't watch either but that's ok.  I hope you do.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

I must say that 2009 surprised me.  I didn't think it would be as full of changes as 2008 was but it was!  I guess that's what I get for underestimating life!  I suppose I'll start at the beginning and try to keep things as short as possible but this is me, so I'm not even sure that's possible!!

We celebrated my Aunt Bettye's 91st birthday this year (in Feb)!  I can't say it's hard to believe she's 91.  Well, I guess it is if you've ever met her.  She thinks she's still in her 50's I think!  Aunt Bettye knew the party was coming for the most part.  It's hard to surprise her.  She didn't know that her daughter was well enough to be here.  That was a huge surprise!  It was fun to be there and see how happy Aunt Bettye was to be surrounded by us all!  She's just so cute!

Also in Feb, the day care I work at was voted Business of the Year!!!  That was exciting...especially considering the last few months we had!  It was quite an honor.  We got to go to this dinner that was a little fancier than any of us prefer but it was still very nice.  Two girls from our center also went with us.  It was more exciting for me just to watch because I know how hard Christina works everyday to make us the best she can.  She deserved this award more than anyone!  So definitely a congratulations to her and all of her hard work!  She is an amazing boss!!!!

In the spring, I got to see my Emily in a musical at school!  She was so cute!  Everyone really was!  It was an adorable musical!  I got to take Keagen with me and I think he enjoyed it even more (especially since he was getting the attention of all of the girls...he's just like his dad).  It was so much fun to watch Emily in the musical!  Her sister got to go to Prom just a few weeks later.  It's hard to believe that either of them are old enough for any of this!  Melissa looked gorgeous as always.  And I must admit that her date Andrew looked pretty handsome himself (don't let your head swell, Andrew).  It was definitely a reminder though that life goes by way too quickly.  I remember when Emily and Melissa were just 8 and 10 years old.  Musicals and proms are so hard to believe!

Kale turned 2 in April!  That's hard to believe as well!  I can remember when Shanda had both of her boys!  They're just growing too fast!  And as we prepared for Kale's birthday party, Shanda gave me more good news...SHE WAS PREGNANT!!!!  Yep, the girl who said she was never going to have kids (and had a list of 400 or more reasons why) was pregnant with her third.  It was hard to believe but so exciting!!!  I also got to see Keagen and Kale in their program at the Learning Tree.  It was Keagen's last year.  He was graduating from preschool.  Hmmmmmm...where did the time go?  Soon he'll be going to Prom and be in school plays and things just like Emily and Melissa.  Then it will be Kale...except I'm pretty sure Kale will be telling people how to do it all! 

I was also officially named the Assistant Director at the day care this spring!!  Many of you will find this hard to believe, but I really was shocked.  Yes, I had taken Christina's spot when she went on maternity leave and I had also been the one to fill in when our secretary had to leave.  But I really didn't believe the position would be given to me.  There are definitely more people qualified than me.  And even though I had been away from the nursery for the most part since the September before, I missed those babies.  I was honored that they wanted me to have it.  But I was also torn.  It was hard to walk away from the nursery and not be a part of that close-knit group we had.  But I must admit that the nursery girls haven't changed.  They still make me a part of everything.  Plus I help spoil those babies on a regular basis!  The job of assistant director hasn't been an easy one but I do enjoy it.  I've put in lots of hours...and I know some people don't understand the amount of work I put into it, but I love it!  And I want to work at it.  I want to continue to work extremely hard for Christina and the rest of the staff.  One day the hours will become less but for now, I'm content with the amount I work.  I love it really!

I spent Memorial Day at the lake in Michigan with Stacy, Stella and Stacy's family.  Oh, it was so beautiful.  And so relaxing!!  But it always is with htheir family! I have to say that I kept quiet most of the weekend.  There were lots of people and I'm actually pretty quiet around lots of people...especially people I don't really know.  Plus I just wanted to enjoy the beauty and relaxation of the weekend.  As always, they were so good to me!!  They let me relax and feel as if I was at home.  It was wonderful!  I can't get over how beautiful it was!  I have to say that it was almost as beauitful as the Keys.  It was fun to watch Stella not be afraid of anything!  And it was even more beautiful to watch the sunset over the lake.

I must admit that my summer was not that exciting.  There were no vacations.  No concerts.  Nothing really exciting at all!!  The 4th of July was back to normal this year!  I was back to being with Shanda and the boys!  But I actually spend the summer thinking about moving out.  Yep.  I was closing in on my 31st birthday and I was still wanting to move out after it didn't quite work out back in the fall of 2008.  I figured I'd have to do a lot of searching to find something I liked and could afford.  But God had a plan!  The apartment that Tera and I had fallen in love with back in 2008 was available again!  I figured it would be a process of talks and things like that but everything fell into place pretty quickly and the apartment was just as wonderful as it had been the first time!  And I moved in towards the end of August.  Actually, I spent the first few weeks of August slowly moving in with the help of an amazing friend.  Lots of people were so helpful!  I was pretty sure I was going to be living like a college student...sitting on bean bags and things.  But that was not the case.  I'm surrounded by many people who love me and care.  And my apartment is completely furnished!  And it's so comfortable!  It felt like home pretty much from the beginning!  I now know that this was what God had in His plans.  I LOVE IT!!!

Keagen started kindergarten in the fall.  Ugh.  That's so hard to believe.  We were all there to watch him get on the bus for the first time.  He was so grown up!!  He did great of course.  It was just so hard to believe that he was now in school.  Like I said, time goes by way too quickly.

My 31st birthday was quiet.  There was no big OSU game.  No surprise dinner.  Just little celebrations here and there with lots of people in my life.  And that was nice!  31 doesn't feel any different than any other year really.  It's all of the other changes in my life that have made me feel different.  31 is just a number!  Plus I apparently don't look 31 still since I got carded buying super glue sometime before Christmas!  I don't think that will ever get old!

A friend and I went to the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky in October.  It was just really a chance to do something different.  We always go to the movies.  Or hang out.  Play the wii.  I wanted to do something different before the weather started to really change.  The aquarium was very cool!  It was fun to do something different and see different things.  It actually ended up being a day full of new plus the same things!  We went to the aquarium, talked a ton on the way there and on the way back.  We had ice cream (of course).  And we finished the evening by watching a movie!  I had to admit that it was probably one of my favorite days of the year! 

Kiah Grace was born on Tues. Dec. 8.  And she is so freakin' beautiful!  She looks just like her brothers Keagen and Kale.  I can only imagine how ornery she'll be.  But she is precious.  I know that time will go by quickly and soon enough, she'll be heading off to her first day of kindergarten as well.  I'm so happy for Shanda and Dustin though.  They are amazing parents!!!  I know that Kiah will grow up to be a wonderful young lady!!!

Mom was sick this Christmas so she wouldn't let me take any pics!  Plus, instead of her big tree she had a small one out this year.  She gave me her big tree for my apartment (which I was so excited about).  I used the silver decorations while adding purple and bluish/green ornaments as well.  I loved it!!!  I spent Christmas Eve at Mom and Dad's.  There's nothing better than spending Christmas Eve with mom and dad (and Snoodles of course).  Christmas day was quiet.  I helped Mom cook...even though she really couldn't eat anything.  We all napped!  It was just a very relaxing day.  I wish Mom had felt better but she is now and that's all that matters!

And I had a fun New Year's Eve!  I worked that morning and early afternoon.  But Christina and I talked a lot too so it wasn't a ton of work!  Then a few friends came over that evening.  We played Mario Brothers...which is just entertaining when you're all supposed to be working together!  Ha ha ha!! We laughed a lot!  It was nice to bring in the New Year with two people who have changed who I am.  They're important parts of my life and I'm glad I could be with them to bring in 2010.

2009 was full of changes...some small, some big.  And I know that some of you are probably confused by things...and not so sure of decisions I've made.  I'm ok with that.  As I said in 2009, everything happens for a reason.  I'm hoping 2010 will put some of 2009 behind me.  But either way, I'm a better person because of the things that I learned from.  I've gained some amazing people in my life.  There are people that are still in my life despite the fact that I work as much as I do...and for that, I'm forever grateful.  And I've grown...a lot.

I pray the best for each and every one of you in 2010.  I pray that you find who you are in God and the amazing person He's made you to be.  I pray that you don't fear the things you are capable of.  Thank you for being a part of my life.  Thank you for being a part of who I am today.  And thank you for loving me.    



Comments

Sherri Roller said…
Loved the videos!!! And you!!!
Sherri Roller

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, New Me

New year, new me. Who says that? Ok, a lot of people so no offense if you’re one of them.  But I like me. Sure, I’m not perfect. But I don’t want to really change all of me.  So no silly quote like that for me! It is hard to believe that 2019 is here. The older I get, the quicker time flies by.  I do remember being told that when I was a teenager.  Those people were so right.  It feels like yesterday that I was sitting in my quiet house while Johanna was off with friends celebrating the start of 2018.  But that was a year ago.  Today, I’m still sitting in my quiet house but that’s because Karyna is just waking up for the day.   A few years ago, I used to work on videos that would highlight my year.  I loved doing them but they took time.  And that’s time that I don’t have as much of these days.  It’s hard to go through a year of pictures and videos.  Do you know how many pictures I take a year?  My goodness!...

Lots of Names

Well, this is my fourth Friday in my apartment!!! It really does feel like home for the most part!!! Tera helped me...wait...I take that back. Tera MOVED my swing and table from mom and dad's a few weeks ago and so that is now on my deck! I love it!! Although, I have to admit that I haven't been home too much to enjoy it but at least I know it's there. Hopefully I'll get the chance to relax on my swing this weekend. I set my smoke alarm off the other night! That was funny! I was cooking a chicken patty and some fries in the oven. All of a sudden I hear this loud beeping! Of course once I realized it was the smoke alarm, I ran into the kitchen. Everything was good in there! Food was cooking just fine! Apparently it just got too hot in here for the smoke alarm. The funny part though is me standing on the chair trying to figure out why the alarm won't quit chirping every 45 seconds...even after I took out the battery! So after a text to the landlords (who laughed), I r...

Sunday Stealing

Sunday Stealing: The Question Meme 01) Are you currently in a serious relationship? Nope.  Unless you count my job as a serious relationship. 02) What was your dream growing up? To be a teacher.  Get married.  Have a dog!  :-) 03) What talent do you wish you had? Play the piano well.  I'm currently working on that.  04) If I bought you a drink what would it be? Strawberry lemonade 05) Favorite vegetable? Green beans.  06) What was the last book you read? I'll be finishing Shades of Blue by Karen Kingsbury today then starting Listen later on this evening.  07) What zodiac sign are you? Virgo 08) Any Tattoos and/or Piercings? Explain where. Just ears 09) Worst Habit? Today???  :-)  Overanalyzing things.  10) If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a ride? Depends on who you are.  11) What is your favorite sport? Basketball.  Can't play it but love watching it.  And of cours...