Skip to main content

Every Day Deserves a Chance

So I was putting a book away this evening and was looking for another book.  I was looking for "Captivating" - a very good book that I never finished.  But instead, I spotted another book.  I bought this book - probably 3 years ago I'd say.  I think I bought it at the last Women of Faith conference I was at.  I bought it because it was by Max Lucado and he is one of my favorite authors.  He's actually the author of the first Christian book I ever read (other than the Bible).  I buy his books because he wrote them!  This was no different.  Of course, I thought it would be a good book but it was because it was his that I bought it.  I never opened it though - until today.

I believe there is a reason I didn't open the book 3 years ago.  Life was different for me.  I embraced each day with a much better attitude.  I need this book now.  That became clear from the first page I read.

Suppose neck deep in a "terrible, horrible, no good, ver bad day," you resolve to give it a chance.  You choose not to drink or work or worry it away but give it a fair shake.  You trust more.  Stress less.  Amplify gratitude.  Mute grumbling.  And what do you know?  Before long the day is done and surprisingly decent." (page 4)

Wouldn't that be wonderful?  Instead of thinking about how the day will just get more terrible (cause it's that what we really do), we just work THROUGH it.  We rejoice in it!!!  "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it" (Psalm 118: 24).  And notice, he didn't say the day would be great.  He said decent.  We get so disappointed when we decide the day will be great and it's not.  I definitely think we should strive for great days!  But we have to remember that decent isn't bad either.  And if we're rejoicing in the decent day, it doesn't seem so bad...and we start to feel like it was great!

You know longer have yesterday.  It slipped away as you slept.  It is gone.  You'll more easily retrieve a puff of smoke.  You can't change, alter, or improve it.  Sorry, no mulligans allowed.  Hourglass sand won't flow upward.  The second hand of the clock refuses to tick backward.  The monthly calendar reads left to right, not right to left.  You no longer have yesterday.

You do no yet have tomorrow.  Unless you accelerate the orbit of the earth or convince the sun to rise twice before it sets once, you can't live tomorrow today.  You can't spend tomorrow's money, celebrate tomorrow's achievements, or resolve tomorrow's riddles.  You have only today.  This is the day the Lord has made. (page 5) 

...Guilt presses on one side.  Dread drags the other.  No wonder we weary so.  We sabotage our day, wiring it for disaster, lugging along yesterday's troubles, downloading tomorrow's struggles.  Remorse over the past, anxiety over the future.  We aren't giving the day a chance.  (page 6)

I want to give my days a chance!  I want good days!!!  And I want that to pour out to other people!  If p;eople see you giving the day a chance, they're more likly to do it as well.  If nothing else, you're giving their day a chance.  I want to give each day a chance - I want to give God the chance to work through me everyday!

Daylifter:
The next time you are mired in a bad day, check your outlook with these three questions:
1.  What do I feel guilty about?
2.  What am I worried about?
3.  What am I about?
Reflect on your answers with these reminders:
Yesterday...Forgiven.
Tomorrow...Surrendered.
Today...Clarified.
Jesus' design for a good day makes such sense.  His grace erases guilt.  His oversight removes fear.  His direction removes confusion. 

My goal is to read this book everyday as a start to a good day...and not be disappointed if they day is just "decent."  I also want to open my Bible more and depend on God more.  You'd think I'd know by now that I can't do it without Him!

Give your day a chance to shine for Him!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, New Me

New year, new me. Who says that? Ok, a lot of people so no offense if you’re one of them.  But I like me. Sure, I’m not perfect. But I don’t want to really change all of me.  So no silly quote like that for me! It is hard to believe that 2019 is here. The older I get, the quicker time flies by.  I do remember being told that when I was a teenager.  Those people were so right.  It feels like yesterday that I was sitting in my quiet house while Johanna was off with friends celebrating the start of 2018.  But that was a year ago.  Today, I’m still sitting in my quiet house but that’s because Karyna is just waking up for the day.   A few years ago, I used to work on videos that would highlight my year.  I loved doing them but they took time.  And that’s time that I don’t have as much of these days.  It’s hard to go through a year of pictures and videos.  Do you know how many pictures I take a year?  My goodness!...

Friday Follow

How come when it's time to do the Friday Follow, I have nothing interesting to say??? Hmmmm...it's been a long week.  Days where things just didn't make sense.  Lots I need to process.  It's possible that all of my thinking will lead to a great post this weekend.  But for now, I just hope all of you new visitors find something interesting to read from other posts here.  I plan to spend this rainy weekend doing some thinking, relaxing, watching movies and checking out new blogs!  Sounds like a good way to spend the weekend, right?  :-)  Thanks for stopping by!

New Cards!!!

So between resting this weekend (cause my allergies kicked my butt...especially yesterday), I worked on making some cards.  It's been SO long since I've actually spent time doing something like this and I LOVE making cards!  So I wanted to share them with you.  I made 20 cards total.  2 each of 10 designs.  So now there's two sets of friendship cards.  I think I'm going to try to sell one set.  Then I think give the other set away.  I'm just not sure how.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking if you leave a comment about the cards you'll be entered to win.  If you buy one set of cards, you'll also be entered to win.  Hows that sound?