Skip to main content

Uganda, Africa

If you're an American Idol fan like I am, then you definitely saw the Idol Gives Back special (I don't think there are too many people who DIDN'T see it - but if you didn't, SHAME ON YOU! ). This is the second year for the special and I have to say that the videos and the stories from this year's special touched me more than last. I remember having a conversation with my mom that night (and probably several others through text) about how I would love to take just one of those children into my life...to be able to change their life. Its so easy to watch one of those shows and be reminded of how blessed we all are! (The fact that you can even read this blog means you have so much more than those children and their families!)

The next day was the day we left for Florida and I had a similar conversation with Todd and Stacy on our way to Dayton. I was kind of joking...obviously I can't take one those children home with me. But at the same time, I wanted to. Broke my heart to watch some of those videos...I'm sure it did yours as well.

The day after coming back from Florida, my mom and I along with her best friend and two of Jill's grandchildren went to see the African Children's Choir. I've seen them before but it's been YEARS. And they're so much fun to watch! They're enthusiasm for life and the Lord is just amazing! But there were those images again. Those videos of those kids...the conditions they live in...how so many of them don't live long lives. Heart breaking. And on the way home from the concert, I said to my mom, "I would love to go to Africa. I would love to be able to experience just a day of what so many others have had the chance to see first hand. I want to be able to be used in that way but I know it's just not possible for me."

My mom agreed and then joked with me (if you know my mom, then you'll understand her jokes)! She said she'd love to go but she's afraid to fly (which she is) and then she said, "But if Brad Pitt was there to greet me when I get off of the plane, I'll go anywhere!" (She loves that man and believe me, if he agreed to meet her at the end of the earth, she'd be there!) We talked about it some more and then I kind of just put it to the back of my mind.

Obviously because of vacation, I missed a few weeks of church here at home and so I felt a little behind when I opened my bulletin yesterday and saw the little page about a trip to Uganda. ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME??? The bulletin wasn't full of too much information but it was enough for me. Then Barb made the announcement that 16 people would get to go to Uganda this fall...Oct. 20 actually and spend 11 days there to help build a little lakeside ministry. WHAT?????????? Then they showed the video that I'm also going to share with you at the end of this blog. It was hard to concentrate on the service for one reason...I have a chance to go to Uganda.

I have to say though that I don't really believe this is my time to go. After all of my thinking and praying yesterday, I just don't feel like this is my time (which is slightly disappointing). I guess I feel a little better knowing that there will be other chances through the church to see this part of the world and to take part in a life changing experience. I'm not counting this year's trip out COMPLETELY. I'm still praying about it and I ask that you do the same.

But on top of all of that, there's a reason this trip is happening this year and whether I go or not, I want to be a part of it in some way. And I'm sure there will be plenty of ways for me to be involved. I know that as a church, we'll be doing fundraisers and things like that and I plan to do my best to participate (and you'll be hearing about those I'm sure). And of course just prayer.

So I'm asking a favor of each and every one of you who reads this...whether you're a praying person or not, I ask that you at least lift up this experience that so many people are going to get to be a part of. And I encourage you, if you want to be a part in some way, to please let me know! There are so many ways you can be a part of this great journey! And I hope I get to go eventually. I hope that at some point in my life, this is a journey I get to experience up close. But in the mean time, I'm completely content with sitting back and doing all of those little things God has for me.

Here's the video. It's actually Daughtry's video from when the band went. I love this song. I LOVE this video. They played it in church this weekend and even though I had already seen it, it still managed to pull on those heart strings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year, New Me

New year, new me. Who says that? Ok, a lot of people so no offense if you’re one of them.  But I like me. Sure, I’m not perfect. But I don’t want to really change all of me.  So no silly quote like that for me! It is hard to believe that 2019 is here. The older I get, the quicker time flies by.  I do remember being told that when I was a teenager.  Those people were so right.  It feels like yesterday that I was sitting in my quiet house while Johanna was off with friends celebrating the start of 2018.  But that was a year ago.  Today, I’m still sitting in my quiet house but that’s because Karyna is just waking up for the day.   A few years ago, I used to work on videos that would highlight my year.  I loved doing them but they took time.  And that’s time that I don’t have as much of these days.  It’s hard to go through a year of pictures and videos.  Do you know how many pictures I take a year?  My goodness!...

Friday Follow

How come when it's time to do the Friday Follow, I have nothing interesting to say??? Hmmmm...it's been a long week.  Days where things just didn't make sense.  Lots I need to process.  It's possible that all of my thinking will lead to a great post this weekend.  But for now, I just hope all of you new visitors find something interesting to read from other posts here.  I plan to spend this rainy weekend doing some thinking, relaxing, watching movies and checking out new blogs!  Sounds like a good way to spend the weekend, right?  :-)  Thanks for stopping by!

New Cards!!!

So between resting this weekend (cause my allergies kicked my butt...especially yesterday), I worked on making some cards.  It's been SO long since I've actually spent time doing something like this and I LOVE making cards!  So I wanted to share them with you.  I made 20 cards total.  2 each of 10 designs.  So now there's two sets of friendship cards.  I think I'm going to try to sell one set.  Then I think give the other set away.  I'm just not sure how.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking if you leave a comment about the cards you'll be entered to win.  If you buy one set of cards, you'll also be entered to win.  Hows that sound?