My Mom’s Voice. You’re probably thinking this is about to be a sad blog. That’s not my intention. Trust me!
I’ve titled this My Mom’s Voice because of me hearing her voice a lot lately. Not like I have mental issues kind of voice, but having a teenager in the house is bringing my mom out in me big time!
Johanna and I basically haven’t stopped since she got here. Cedar Point, my birthday, my class reunion, Homecoming, Cross Country, Drama (club not her attitude)...and the list goes on. I mean, that’s all on top of work, church and school. We probably spend more time in the car than anywhere. But that’s honestly the most we’re together. She’s here. I’m there. Just like any other home in America that contains at least one teenager.
Cedar Point happened the first full weekend after she came to live with me. I’m glad it did. Gave her a chance to get to know some of the kids and to do something fun before this crazy schedule really settled in. It was a long day but a fun one! She loved the rides. She got to enjoy some of the Christian concerts they had going on. It was a full day!! Alex spent the weekend with us too. It gave them a chance to get to know each other better and just be teenage girls. It was fun! I was exhausted but I think they were too!
I was gone the following weekend. Elisabeth came home for my birthday! So me and the girls took a few days away down in Cincy which meant Johanna got to spend some time with Anna and her family. She also went to her first high school football game that weekend! I’m so glad she wanted to go. Football games were always a favorite of mine. Of course, I was with the band but it was still a great experience to be there with the kids you go to school with and to cheer on your team. Or maybe I’m just a nerd. It’s a toss up really.
We did our firsts together. Our first grocery trip (which included lots of cereal and Ben & Jerry’s ice cream). First church service together. First day of school. First home cooked meal (that took a few days because of everything we had going on). And honestly, some of this is stuff I didn’t give much thought to when I was wondering what it would be like with her here. Of course I thought about the first day of school. But did I think about what the grocery store would be like? Or what it would be like to cook for her? No! There were so many things I thought about but there were plenty I didn’t. And that’s what’s made this experience such a learning experience for us both.
I often wonder what my mom would say. I sometimes wish I could pick up the phone and call her. I hear her voice often in my head but it's not the same. I know she would love Johanna. I think Johanna would love her too. But I also know that if my mom were here, Johanna probably wouldn't be. And that's when I hear my mom's voice, "see, this is what I wanted for you and your life."
I’ve titled this My Mom’s Voice because of me hearing her voice a lot lately. Not like I have mental issues kind of voice, but having a teenager in the house is bringing my mom out in me big time!
Johanna and I basically haven’t stopped since she got here. Cedar Point, my birthday, my class reunion, Homecoming, Cross Country, Drama (club not her attitude)...and the list goes on. I mean, that’s all on top of work, church and school. We probably spend more time in the car than anywhere. But that’s honestly the most we’re together. She’s here. I’m there. Just like any other home in America that contains at least one teenager.
Cedar Point happened the first full weekend after she came to live with me. I’m glad it did. Gave her a chance to get to know some of the kids and to do something fun before this crazy schedule really settled in. It was a long day but a fun one! She loved the rides. She got to enjoy some of the Christian concerts they had going on. It was a full day!! Alex spent the weekend with us too. It gave them a chance to get to know each other better and just be teenage girls. It was fun! I was exhausted but I think they were too!
I was gone the following weekend. Elisabeth came home for my birthday! So me and the girls took a few days away down in Cincy which meant Johanna got to spend some time with Anna and her family. She also went to her first high school football game that weekend! I’m so glad she wanted to go. Football games were always a favorite of mine. Of course, I was with the band but it was still a great experience to be there with the kids you go to school with and to cheer on your team. Or maybe I’m just a nerd. It’s a toss up really.
We did our firsts together. Our first grocery trip (which included lots of cereal and Ben & Jerry’s ice cream). First church service together. First day of school. First home cooked meal (that took a few days because of everything we had going on). And honestly, some of this is stuff I didn’t give much thought to when I was wondering what it would be like with her here. Of course I thought about the first day of school. But did I think about what the grocery store would be like? Or what it would be like to cook for her? No! There were so many things I thought about but there were plenty I didn’t. And that’s what’s made this experience such a learning experience for us both.
I often wonder what my mom would say. I sometimes wish I could pick up the phone and call her. I hear her voice often in my head but it's not the same. I know she would love Johanna. I think Johanna would love her too. But I also know that if my mom were here, Johanna probably wouldn't be. And that's when I hear my mom's voice, "see, this is what I wanted for you and your life."
Comments