Have you heard of the podcast Serial? I feel like I was one of the last ones to find out about it. I will admit that I watch the Today Show every weekday morning as I get ready for work. I love that show! But anyway...a few weeks ago, they talked about this podcast that everyone else in the country seemed to be talking about (well, according to them anyway). Carson Daly was saying that the last episode was being released that day. People were on twitter talking about how they were locking themselves in their offices at work so they could listen. He was saying he was only on episode 5 so he didn't want anyone to ruin it for him. And I thought, "OK. This is at least worth listening to for a few minutes." But I also thought that I wouldn't enjoy it. It would be like listening to talk radio. It's just not my thing.
Well, on Sunday Dec. 21, I downloaded the first episode. I came home from church and decided to download it. By time I was 8 minutes into this podcast, I was hooked. And I was sending snap chats to a few friends telling them I was hooked.
Why was I hooked? I'm not even sure I know how to explain it but before I try, let me give my own summary about what this podcast is about. Basically, this podcast is a true story about the murder of a teenage girl and the guy they claimed did it. He's in prison and serving time for this murder but he maintains his innocence. And so this journalist is explaining the case, interviewing people who were involved and giving some of her thoughts on all of this. You get to hear some audio clips from people she interviewed as well as some audio from the police interviews years ago. You also hear some audio of the accused himself. That made it even more real. To hear his voice, you start to kind of really connect with him. Not in a creepy way. Just in a way like "this guy used to be a teenager." "This guy used to be just like I was when I was a teenager." You hear all of these facts and stories, and you start to wonder (well, at least I started to wonder) "is that how I would react to that situation?" "Had they questioned me, what would I have said?" And as each episode continues, you start to have more questions and more opinions. I couldn't wait to listen to the next episode. I was listening at night before bed. I was listening while I was doing my hair in the morning. I was even skipping the Today show to listen! And I turned off the Christmas music in the car so that I could listen!!
I had listened to all 12 episodes in just 4 days. Considering I didn't think I would like this at all, I think I did quite well! Ha, ha! I'm kind of glad I was late to the whole Serial phenomenon. Otherwise I would have had to wait a week between each episode. I'm pretty sure that would have killed me! (I struggle with waiting a week between some of my favorite TV shows!)
So here's my opinion: If you like shows or books with some suspense, DOWNLOAD SERIAL!!! Or if you're someone who's a little nosey (you don't have to admit it out loud; it's ok) and you just want to know what this whole story is about, DOWNLOAD SERIAL!!! They do have a website with things from the case that you can look at as well as some maps and things they drew out themselves. I waited until I was all done listening before I went back and looked at that. I just didn't want to take the chance to ruin it all for myself. But they do have it separated by episode, so if you're good, you could easily look at each part based on the episode you just listened to.
Now I'm just patiently waiting for another podcast like this one. They said they will do another one but they're not sure when. Ugh. I'm ready for another one! I've even thought about listening to this one again! I'm telling you. This one is worth listening to!

Well, on Sunday Dec. 21, I downloaded the first episode. I came home from church and decided to download it. By time I was 8 minutes into this podcast, I was hooked. And I was sending snap chats to a few friends telling them I was hooked.
Why was I hooked? I'm not even sure I know how to explain it but before I try, let me give my own summary about what this podcast is about. Basically, this podcast is a true story about the murder of a teenage girl and the guy they claimed did it. He's in prison and serving time for this murder but he maintains his innocence. And so this journalist is explaining the case, interviewing people who were involved and giving some of her thoughts on all of this. You get to hear some audio clips from people she interviewed as well as some audio from the police interviews years ago. You also hear some audio of the accused himself. That made it even more real. To hear his voice, you start to kind of really connect with him. Not in a creepy way. Just in a way like "this guy used to be a teenager." "This guy used to be just like I was when I was a teenager." You hear all of these facts and stories, and you start to wonder (well, at least I started to wonder) "is that how I would react to that situation?" "Had they questioned me, what would I have said?" And as each episode continues, you start to have more questions and more opinions. I couldn't wait to listen to the next episode. I was listening at night before bed. I was listening while I was doing my hair in the morning. I was even skipping the Today show to listen! And I turned off the Christmas music in the car so that I could listen!!
I had listened to all 12 episodes in just 4 days. Considering I didn't think I would like this at all, I think I did quite well! Ha, ha! I'm kind of glad I was late to the whole Serial phenomenon. Otherwise I would have had to wait a week between each episode. I'm pretty sure that would have killed me! (I struggle with waiting a week between some of my favorite TV shows!)
So here's my opinion: If you like shows or books with some suspense, DOWNLOAD SERIAL!!! Or if you're someone who's a little nosey (you don't have to admit it out loud; it's ok) and you just want to know what this whole story is about, DOWNLOAD SERIAL!!! They do have a website with things from the case that you can look at as well as some maps and things they drew out themselves. I waited until I was all done listening before I went back and looked at that. I just didn't want to take the chance to ruin it all for myself. But they do have it separated by episode, so if you're good, you could easily look at each part based on the episode you just listened to.
Now I'm just patiently waiting for another podcast like this one. They said they will do another one but they're not sure when. Ugh. I'm ready for another one! I've even thought about listening to this one again! I'm telling you. This one is worth listening to!
Comments