Have you heard the song Lead Me by Sanctus Real? If not, then first listen!!! Otherwise, this post won't mean much. :-)
Like it? I know you do! How can you not???
I've been listening to this song for months. I love it! But a few months ago (that's how long it's taken me to get time to write this post) I started to think about what this song meant for ME. I'm not a mother. I'm not married. So I don't have this family that we often picture when we hear this song. But this song is important to me because of what I do. I work with children and a group of women (and one man) on a daily basis. These are the people I spend the majority of my life with. I'm here at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I see these people way more than I even see my poor dog!!
And I'm the assistant director here at this daycare center. So my job isn't just to take care of the children and be responsible for a certain room in this building. My job is to help take care of EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. That's a huge responsibility. And one that I honestly some days take a little more lightly than others.
But here's this song Lead Me. Isn't this what God is calling me to do in my own life through this job?
I look around and see my wonderful life
Almost perfect from the outside
In picture frames, I see my beautiful wife
Always smiling, but on the inside
Isn't that the truth??? I mean, even from a job perspective, from the outside things always look great if you're running things correctly. But that doesn't mean that on the inside there aren't some conflicts and struggles. The ecomony hurt so many people. And we're a non-profit at that. It's not an easy job by any means. We have to be creative in how we make ends meet. And that can be hard on everyone that works here financially. That's just one problem we can sometimes have. When you're with someone all day everyday, they can sometimes get on your nerves. We deal with that too!
Oh, I can hear her saying
Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, but what about us?
We know that for some of these children, they see more love here than they ever will at home. We know that for some children, we are the only stability they have in their lives. That can even be true for some of the employees. And our goal shouldn't be to have the best this and that. Our goal should be to be the best with what we have and the children and staff that we have.
Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone
As I said before, we may be the only stability some of these children have. This is a 2nd home to a lot of the kids! This is our home from 6:30am-6:00pm. It should feel that way.
I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes
They're just children from the outside
I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine
They're independent, but on the inside
These kids need us. They are here for a reason. These employees are here for a reason. We need each other. Yes, we all have our own families and lives but we are together here for a reason and we need each other.
Oh, I can hear them saying
Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, what about us?
Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone
So Father, give me the strength
To be everything I'm called to be
Oh Father, show me the way
To lead them
I want to be the best I can be in this job. I want to do exactly what God wants of me while I'm here. I'm not here just to be here. God placed me here for a reason and a purpose.
Won't You lead me?
To lead them with strong hands
To stand up when they can't
Don't want to leave them hungry for love
Chasing things that I could give up
I'll show them I'm willing to fight
And give them the best of my life
So we can call this our home
Lead me 'cause I can't do this alone
Father, lead me 'cause I can't do this alone
This has become my prayer lately. I can't do this job without Him. I don't want to. And I don't want to just come in everyday and do what I have to do. I want to come in here everyday and make a difference in someone's life. I want these kids to know that no matter what the situation is at home, they have a home here with us. I want them to know they're loved. I want them to know that even once they leave here, we will be there for them. I don't want our staff to just think they're employees. I want them to know how important they are to this center but also to us. I want them to know that what's going on in their lives is important to us. Yes, we still have a job to do. We still need to be here everyday and nurture these children. But that doesn't meant that they can't come to us with things that are going on in their lives.
I want to be the type of assistant director that this song is calling for. I want to lead them with strong hands. I want to stand up for something when they can't. I don't want them to ever feel like they don't have someone who loves them. And I don't want them to see this center chase after things that don't mean much in the scheme of things. Would we like to have brand new computers? Would we like to have brand new toys? Would we love to have a bigger playground? Oh yes!! But those aren't the things that matter. And we don't want those things to become our focus. I don't want those things to become my focus.
So I'm praying that God leads me...cause I can't do this job without Him.
Like it? I know you do! How can you not???
I've been listening to this song for months. I love it! But a few months ago (that's how long it's taken me to get time to write this post) I started to think about what this song meant for ME. I'm not a mother. I'm not married. So I don't have this family that we often picture when we hear this song. But this song is important to me because of what I do. I work with children and a group of women (and one man) on a daily basis. These are the people I spend the majority of my life with. I'm here at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I see these people way more than I even see my poor dog!!
And I'm the assistant director here at this daycare center. So my job isn't just to take care of the children and be responsible for a certain room in this building. My job is to help take care of EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. That's a huge responsibility. And one that I honestly some days take a little more lightly than others.
But here's this song Lead Me. Isn't this what God is calling me to do in my own life through this job?
I look around and see my wonderful life
Almost perfect from the outside
In picture frames, I see my beautiful wife
Always smiling, but on the inside
Isn't that the truth??? I mean, even from a job perspective, from the outside things always look great if you're running things correctly. But that doesn't mean that on the inside there aren't some conflicts and struggles. The ecomony hurt so many people. And we're a non-profit at that. It's not an easy job by any means. We have to be creative in how we make ends meet. And that can be hard on everyone that works here financially. That's just one problem we can sometimes have. When you're with someone all day everyday, they can sometimes get on your nerves. We deal with that too!
Oh, I can hear her saying
Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, but what about us?
We know that for some of these children, they see more love here than they ever will at home. We know that for some children, we are the only stability they have in their lives. That can even be true for some of the employees. And our goal shouldn't be to have the best this and that. Our goal should be to be the best with what we have and the children and staff that we have.
Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone
As I said before, we may be the only stability some of these children have. This is a 2nd home to a lot of the kids! This is our home from 6:30am-6:00pm. It should feel that way.
I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes
They're just children from the outside
I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine
They're independent, but on the inside
These kids need us. They are here for a reason. These employees are here for a reason. We need each other. Yes, we all have our own families and lives but we are together here for a reason and we need each other.
Oh, I can hear them saying
Lead me with strong hands
Stand up when I can't
Don't leave me hungry for love
Chasing dreams, what about us?
Show me you're willing to fight
That I'm still the love of your life
I know we call this our home
But I still feel alone
So Father, give me the strength
To be everything I'm called to be
Oh Father, show me the way
To lead them
I want to be the best I can be in this job. I want to do exactly what God wants of me while I'm here. I'm not here just to be here. God placed me here for a reason and a purpose.
Won't You lead me?
To lead them with strong hands
To stand up when they can't
Don't want to leave them hungry for love
Chasing things that I could give up
I'll show them I'm willing to fight
And give them the best of my life
So we can call this our home
Lead me 'cause I can't do this alone
Father, lead me 'cause I can't do this alone
This has become my prayer lately. I can't do this job without Him. I don't want to. And I don't want to just come in everyday and do what I have to do. I want to come in here everyday and make a difference in someone's life. I want these kids to know that no matter what the situation is at home, they have a home here with us. I want them to know they're loved. I want them to know that even once they leave here, we will be there for them. I don't want our staff to just think they're employees. I want them to know how important they are to this center but also to us. I want them to know that what's going on in their lives is important to us. Yes, we still have a job to do. We still need to be here everyday and nurture these children. But that doesn't meant that they can't come to us with things that are going on in their lives.
I want to be the type of assistant director that this song is calling for. I want to lead them with strong hands. I want to stand up for something when they can't. I don't want them to ever feel like they don't have someone who loves them. And I don't want them to see this center chase after things that don't mean much in the scheme of things. Would we like to have brand new computers? Would we like to have brand new toys? Would we love to have a bigger playground? Oh yes!! But those aren't the things that matter. And we don't want those things to become our focus. I don't want those things to become my focus.
So I'm praying that God leads me...cause I can't do this job without Him.
Comments