This is a day I've been looking forward to since I knew Johanna was coming to live with me for the school year. I remember seeing her birthday on her information when I originally picked her and thinking "this is perfect! Mom's birthday month!" And as we celebrate this day, I know Mom would have loved every minute of sharing her month with Johanna. She would have loved everything about Johanna. I have no doubt. That's just another reason I know that God orchestrated this for a purpose.
We started celebrating Johanna's birthday this past weekend. We had a little surprise dinner for her on Saturday night with Shanda's family, Rachael and Dia. It was such a good time! She was surprised and I'm pretty sure she felt very loved. I had another surprise for her on Sunday. I basically stalked a friend of hers so I could get a hold of him. And he met us for church on Sunday and then joined us for lunch afterwards. She was a happy girl! And tonight, there's more surprises to come. I'll keep those to myself for now. I don't want to risk them getting out before it's time. But I'm excited! I've been working on it for months! Actually I've been working on it since the summer. But I don't want to share all of that now!
We had some grocery shopping to do last night. I was dreading it. I hate the grocery store. Plus I had already been several times earlier in the day for work. I was over the store! But we needed food. And Johanna needed some new snacks at home. Surprisingly we found some German snacks at both Aldi's and Meijer. She was so excited!! So that made the trip worth it.
![]() |
| This is how she enjoys most of our grocery trips; riding on the cart! |
I've never been the type of girl that has really wanted to travel out of the country. Sure, I LOVE traveling! But I've been content with just seeing this country. I love America. I love what America has to offer. And there's so much I haven't seen. So I've really just never felt the need to go out of the country. Friends and I even talked about it earlier last year when we were discussing what to do this year for my 40th birthday. And even then I said no. I just didn't want to go.
Now, though, Johanna is a part of my life. I can't imagine never seeing her again. A trip to Germany will happen. Hopefully in just over a year. I know there will be other kids that come through my home. And I know I will love them all. I don't worry about that. But there will always be something special about Johanna. And I think it's several things. I think it will be how she ended up in my home. I think that will always be the biggest thing that stands out to me. But it will also be because she was the first. It will be because of the connection I felt with her from the moment she got in the car on Sept 9. It will be because she pushed herself to fit into her school. It will be because she tried new things that she was afraid of. It will be because of her hugs, her infectious smile, her sarcasm and her curiosity. It's hard to think of what my life will be when she's not here. I will miss talking to her. I will miss the crazy things we come up with. And even though I try not to dwell on those things, they are now constantly in the back of my mind. I am constantly thinking, "this may be the last time we do this. We need to fit this in because we may not have another opportunity." She is going to be missed. And she will definitely take a much larger piece of my heart with her than I care to admit. And she won't be missed by just me. She's touched so many lives in her short time here.
But today, I will celebrate her. Today I will celebrate her 17th birthday! I'll spoil her and surprise her. I will make today simply about today. Not tomorrow. Not a day in April. Not a day in May. Not a dreaded day that will probably happen in June.
(Although, I must admit that in back of my head, I'll be starting my plan for how to get to Germany next summer.)
Happy birthday, Johanna! I can't wait to celebrate with you (some more) later on this evening!

Comments